The Institute for Christ Centered Manhood aims to foster a desire in men to be the kind of Christ centered fathers, husbands and sons that can lead their families to God and his will in an immoral and wicked world. The Lord challenged his servants to be “Wise as serpents and harmless as doves” see Mathew 10:16. As men and leaders of homes, families, business, and communities, we can play a major role in a renaissance that will return integrity to our spheres of influence. This effort is facilitated in part by this forum and blog where ideas may be shared and problems discussed. I also offer my services as a guest speaker and consultant in organizations, church groups, and service clubs. My fees and rates are available by emailing a request.







Thursday, September 29, 2011

The inspirational figures in my life:

The Lord has cautioned us that salvation is only in him.  Our testimonies cannot be wrapped up in another mortal and those who do put their trust in man are doomed to failure in matters of eternity.  However, in the way that Paul councils the saints in Philippians 3:17 to be “followers of him,” I also have figures in my life that give me inspiration.  Mentoring relationships are key and every Christ Centered man needs to first and foremost have a relationship with the Savior and with his spouse, but a close second is to have a mentor in Christ, a sponsor if you will.  Christ-like friendships and supports are a key element in a Christ Centered life.  I have a number of inspirational figures in my life, Three of them I wish to mention here are William Booth, My father William Burton Thomas, and H.C. (Joe) Raymond:


William Booth: 
William booth was the founder of the Salvation Army.  His story can be found in a number of places.  One good synopsis is found at http://www.salvationarmy.org/heritage

The General
I grew up in this organization and have found myself molded and fitted for the Lords service by Booth’s words and his story.  Some of the most famous words attributed to him are as follows:

While women weep, as they do now, I'll fight; while little children go hungry, as they do now, I'll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I'll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl upon the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I'll fight-I'll fight to the very end!





William Burton Thomas:
Dad in his last year

My Father William Burton Thomas was a man of God who for all of his faults filled me with a love of the savior and of serving others.  When I think of my father I think of the Scripture II Corinthians 10:4.  For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. 







 H.C. (Joe) Raymond:
At a time in my life when I had changed directions and was seeking a new life in a different field, I met a man who served as an internship supervisor.  I found the opportunities that I had to work with Joe and bounce ideas off of him and discuss my budding philosophy and understanding of the principles of life and organizational leadership, were some of the most profound of my life.  Joe became more than my internship supervisor, he became a friend and mentor.  Joe, like my father, is just a man but I found that the opportunity to work with another man who mentored me in Christ and leadership helped me be who I am.  I believe these kinds of relationships need to be fostered.  Joe’s current professional projects can be found at http://www.dkellynewhorizons.com


No comments:

Post a Comment